The BCCI takes this opportunity to highlight which category of workers are defined as essential workers in accordance with section 15 (3) of the Emergency Management (COVID-19) Order.
Under Section 15 (3) of the Emergency Management (COVID-19) Order “essential services” are:
- Law Enforcement Officers
- Defence Force Officers
- Fire Fighting Services
- Prison Services
- Persons employed or engaged as Care Givers
- Veterinary Services
- Collection, storage, purification & distribution of water for public use
- Customs Officers
- Disaster Management Services
- Staff of Hospitals, Clinics and Pharmacies
- Media & Broadcasting Services
- Medical & Paramedical Professionals
- Operation of airport or seaports
- Removal, handling or burial of deceased persons or disposal of dead animals
- Sanitation Services for the collection, storage, treatment & disposal of sewage, garbage or refuse
- Security Services
- Staff of pharmaceutical agencies
- Telecommunications providers
- Transport Services – aircraft, ship, motor vehicle & PSVs
- Electricity Providers
Essential workers are allowed to leave their homes to shop at the supermarket, fish market or hardware store on Thursdays between the hours of 1:00 P.M. & 4:00 P.M. and on Sundays between the hours of 11:00 A.M. & 2:00 P.M.
The banking day for essential workers is Thursday between the hours of 1:00 P.M. & 4:00 P.M.