The Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) and the University of the West Indies (U.W.I) Cave Hill Campus signed an MOU on Thursday 22nd June, 2017. This MOU will set a framework for cooperation between the two institutions for the next five (5) years. The MOU will cover cooperation in the following areas:
- Providing research for the business community on areas such as trade and commerce, legal and economic research, innovation and intellectual property;
- Hosting seminars and workshops, on a needs basis, related to this MOU;
- Providing internships within the Chamber for students of the University;
- Participating in UWI’s Annual Job Fair; and
- Undertaking of one policy forum, each year.
Speaking on behalf of the BCCI, President Abed stated that “The MOU represents the continuation of the relationship between our institutions in an effort to improve the services offered to the public. In my view, this MOU will set the basis for improved collaboration between the Chamber and the U.W.I, in the areas, which will be of benefit to the business community and the stakeholders of the U.W.I.”
The MOU represents one of many initiatives by the BCCI to formalize its relationship with institutions in Barbados and the Region as well as to facilitate the business community’s access to relevant and timely information and services.